Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Week 2


How do we define who we are, and shape or reaffirm our identity using social networks?

It’s amazing to me when I look at some of the profiles of my friends on Facebook. I can’t believe the pictures they post, the things they say, and the comments they make. I have even deleted some of the things that have been posted on my page by a few of them.  However, when I meet with these friends in class or in public they have perfectly appropriate behavior, attitudes and language. It’s like their online identity is a completely different person.

I’ve always thought about a quote that my mom has said to me my whole life. “Never say, write or type anything that you don’t want on the front page of the newspaper”. This quote along with the fact that I’m friends with 2 grand parents, my great aunt Mary and the parents of several of the kids I used to babysit for has always resulted in me thinking about what I say, write or type always. Also, I often think about my future when I’m in the present. I don’t allow anyone to take picture of me with alcohol, I don’t RSVP to questionable events and I try and stay away from controversial sites or issues on facebook that will display on my newsfeed.

Social networks, although in the invisible universe of the Internet, can have a big impact on our real world lives. A teacher last week was punished for writing a blog complaining about how lazy her students were. She didn’t list names and she didn’t give specific details. She simply stated her opinion and frustration in a venting way that nearly got her fired. Even though I don’t think this is fair, I acknowledge that it’s happening every day in our world.

I think that it’s very important that everyone recognizes that when you meet someone in person your first impression is based on a split moment. Even though everyone says “first impressions are everything” I think an in person bad first impression is easier changed than a bad digital first impression. We choose how to represent ourselves on the internet and disregarding this fact can have detrimental effects on our reputations for years to come. I feel like my great aunt Mary can be quoted to wrap this whole post up. “If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all”. Even though the picture of you hanging upside down doing a keg stand in your underwear isn’t words, it says a lot to the parents of your 1st grade class.

No comments:

Post a Comment